Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jambalaya

For The Ohio State Sugar Bowl match-up in New Orleans we decided to to make a good ol' southern dish- Jambalaya!!
I got this recipe from a new CrockPot cookbook I got for Christmas, thanks!!


Ingredients:
-2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces, skinned if desired (I just used frozen chicken tenderloins)
-1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
-1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped ( I didn't add this)
- 2 cups French's French Fried Onions
-1/4 cup Frank's RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (didn't add this either!!)
-2 cloves garlic, chopped
-2 Tbsp Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
-1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
-3/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
-1 cup uncooked regular rice (I used brown rice)
-1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used little salad shrimp)


Directions:
-Combine the chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, green pepper, 1 cup french fried onios, pepper sauce, garlic, seafood seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper into Crock-Pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 2-2 1/2 hours.
-Stir in rice. Cook on LOW for 2 hours of HIGH for 1 hour or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed.
-Turn Crock-Pot to HIGH. Add shrimp. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Arrange jambalaya on serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup French Fried Onions


Reviews:
EXCELLENT!! Not too spicy ( like most southern dishes) but still had a little kick to it. We've tried many jambalaya dishes since our trip to New Orleans and haven't found any we liked until this! We'll definitely make it again! The only thing that would've made it better would have been some beignet's for dessert! :)


Brett gave it a 8 out of 10
Brooke gave it a 9 out of 10

And to top off the great meal..... A Buckeye Victory!!
In true Buckeye fashion, they kept you on the verge of a panic attack until the end, but it was WELL worth being tired the whole next day for! :)
GO BUCKS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment